Enter the draw to win a BMW for 6 months
Calling all Skippers! Make sure you are in the draw to win a BMW 1-Series for 6 months. Simply visit and fill in the entry form. You MUST do this to get yourself in the draw!
Want to double your chances of winning?
Get yourself a second entry into the Win a BMW draw, simply by liking .
Proudly brought to you by PIC Insurance Brokers and Jerry Clayton BMW.
Race Clinic Round-Up
Last night’s Race Clinic was extremely well attended, and despite the lack of major tactical revelations, there was still a lot of fantastic advice imparted by our five speakers.
To finish first, first you must finish
As always, safety is paramount in this year’s PIC Insurance Brokers Coastal Classic. The Coastguard urges competitors to use VHF channel 16 as your first option to call for help in an emergency. Think also about how you would communicate if you’re thrown into the water, or if your boat is inverted. Carrying a PLB or waterproof VHF on your person is definitely a good idea.
“Coastguard Coastguard, Coastal Classic Coastal Classic”, followed by:
“This is [Sail number] [Boat name] [Position]”.
Coastal Week Survival Guide
It's crept up on us pretty quickly, but we're now just days away from the 2014 PIC Insurance Brokers Coastal Classic. There's a lot going on in the build-up to the race, so here's a quick run-down of key dates for your diary:
- Monday 20th October, 1900hrs: RACE CLINIC - Hot tips on how to win the Coastal from a panel of successful sailors. This free seminar is held at The Dinghy Locker, RNZYS in Westhaven.
- Thursday 23rd October, 1000hrs: RAYC MAXI CHALLENGE - Day 1 of this new regatta, with maxi yacht racing in the Waitemata Harbour.
- Thursday 23rd October, 1700hrs: REGISTRATION & BRIEFING - Register and collect your Skipper's Pack (full of free goodies!) from 1700hrs 'til 1900hrs, followed by the Briefing with important weather updates from 1900hrs. Held at RNZYS, Westhaven.
- Friday 24th October, 0600hrs: RNZYS BREAKFAST - As usual, the RNZYS is putting on a fantastic pre-race breakfast that will keep your crew going for the day. Full details below.
- Friday 24th October, 0930hrs: RACE START - Boats will start by division from 0930hrs to 1000hrs, off Devonport Wharf. Tell your friends, family and supporters they can enjoy great views from North Head, Devonport and Tamaki Drive, or visit the website for live coverage of the start. The website will also feature a race tracker, radio sked updates, plus all the latest video, photos and commentary. Up in Russell, the PIC Insurance Brokers Coastal Classic HQ will be located in front of the Duke of Marlborough Tavern on York Street (one block back from the waterfront). Check in there for race updates, Musto race gear and more.
- Saturday 25th October, 1000hrs: RAYC MAXI CHALLENGE - The third and final race of the RAYC Maxi Challenge is a race around the Bay of Islands.
- Saturday 25th October, 1900hrs: PRIZEGIVING - At the Duke Tavern in Russell - make sure you're there to be in with a chance to win a BMW 1-Series for 6 months! Plus there's the legendary party afterwards which you won't want to miss. See you there!